Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon FRCSI, FRCS (Orth), FFSEM, FFSEM (UK), MCh.
Phone: 01 806 5656
Prof O Byrne is a medical graduate of UCD and went on to complete his Orthopaedic Speciality Training in Ireland and Fellowship Training in the USA.
Prof. O’Byrne was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon to the National Spinal Injuries Unit, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital and The National Orthopaedic Hospital in Cappagh in 1996. In 2005 he took up the post of Abraham Colles Professor in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery in the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and with an extended clinical practice at the National Orthopaedic Hospital.
Prof. O’Byrne has an extensive experience with a very busy clinical secondary and tertiary referral practice in knee arthritis surgery.
Prof O’Byrne has an extensive publication list in the area of orthopaedics, trauma and sports injuries.
Prof. O’Byrne has also extensive management experience in Senior Management positions.
Areas of Interest
Prof O Byrne’s practice at the Bon Secours Hospital Dublin will focus primarily on:
- Total knee replacement
- Partial knee replacement
- Revision knee replacement
- Injection therapy for early knee arthritis
Clinical Research & Professional Memberships
- Abraham Colles Professor of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- President of Irish Institute of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery
- Director MCh program RCSI
- Author multiple textbooks and publications
- Co-Principal Investigator/RCSI Cartilage Tissue Regeneration
- Honorary Orthopaedic Surgeon for the Ireland Senior Soccer team
- Chief Medical Officer UEFA Euro 2020 (Dublin)
- Chairman Olympic Science and Medicine Commission
Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery